Wednesday, June 14, 2006

'sNice

Last Thursday we went to 'sNice at 45 8th Avenue in Manhattan to hang out with a bunch of folks from the PPK community. We ate and were merry.

Side of Coleslaw
Jim was jealous that my sandwich was going to come with slaw so we got an extra side order of it. So frikkin’ good. It was just the right balance of creamy/vinegary flavor and the cabbage was crunchy and fresh. –Ev
I found it to be good but not great. My favorite thing about Coleslaw is the texture, and this didn’t disappoint in that department, but I thought the flavor wasn’t anything special. On the other hand, looking at the picture I find myself craving more, so I guess it couldn’t have been too bad. -Jim

BBQ Seitan Sandwich
I got the BBQ Seitan Sandwich with coleslaw. It came with salad on the side. ‘sNice has the best bread. It’s so yummy and they grill it so it’s all warm and toasty. The BBQ sauce was good but the seitan was a little tough. I think what saved this sandwich for me was the coleslaw on it. The pairing of the two worked well. I liked Jim’s Philly Cheesesteak better, though. -Ev

Philly Seitan Sandwich
As you can probably guess, this sandwich is a vegan take on the traditional Philly Cheesesteak sandwich. I agree with Ev that the toasted bread is one of the highlights of ‘sNice’s snandwiches (snorry). It seemed slightly denser than regular hero bread, but not too dense, and they toast it just right. The seitan was very satisfying and the onions and peppers were yummy. The soy cheese they use at ‘sNice seems to be your standard vegan soy cheese, meaning it “melts” a little weirdly and smells a little funky. If you’re used to vegan cheese, though, it won’t bother you. The only weird thing about this sandwich was the “salad” on the side. I felt like it couldn’t make up it’s mind whether it wanted to be a salad or a garnish. It was basically some mixed lettuce topped with red cabbage and a tiny amount of dressing. Not much flavor there. -Jim

Red Velvet Cupcake
I’ll say it now, ‘sNice has the best vegan cupcakes in the city. Though the chocolate cupcake with vanilla icing is still my favorite here, the Red Velvet is a close second. It tastes like a homemade cake only cup-sized, which I would imagine is the whole idea behind a cupcake. Their icing is hands-down the best I’ve had. Just thick enough, sweet enough, smooth enough. YUM! And they sprinkle on cute widdle baby stars. Make sure you grab some napkins though because these cuppies are big and there is no graceful way to eat them. -Ev

Ice Cream Sandwich
‘sNice not only makes you a vegan Ice Cream Sandwich, they let you choose the cookie. I went for the “Kitchen Sink” cookie, which had walnuts and chips and a bunch of other stuff in it. I’m not sure what to say about this except that it tasted like vanilla ice cream between two awesome cookies. If you can imagine that taste, then you can imagine this dessert, and you can understand why I’m getting it again next time I’m at ‘sNice. -Jim

The Bottom Line
I love ‘sNice. It has a nice open layout, yummy food, and friendly service. It’s one of those feel-good places you want to come back to again and again. They have tons of vegan food and great options for beverages. The one disappointment was our pre-dinner milkshake. It was meh. It was like your ice cream melted and you added some soymilk to it- not thick at all. But everything else was great and you should definitely brave the confusing streets of the West Village to check it out. (FYI- It’s counter service, so finding a seat can be tough.) - Ev
Word. I totally wish ‘sNice wasn’t way over on 8th avenue because I’d like to go there more often. The food is good, but what I really like is the laid-back, coffee shop vibe. They have everything from meals to snacks to desserts to coffee and tea, so ‘sNice is a good place to hang out no matter how hungry you are. -Jim

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the BBQ sammich. Putting the coleslaw in is nothing short of genius! I wonder if they has an off day with the seitan, It's usually not tough. I'll get it next time and you can have a bit of mine if you're lucky. Their paninis are perfect, when you first bite into the bread you think you're gonna' break a tooth but then warm toasty goodness and everything is ok.

11:49 PM, June 14, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their foot long veggie chili dog satisfies something primal in me.

Primal and Freudian, I believe.

11:59 PM, June 14, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you guys rule. I need to plan out a list of places to eat before I come to new york and this will really help! thanks!

12:11 AM, June 15, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved sNice too!! I forgot what I had, but it was really good. Something with tempeh. And I had an ice cream cookie too. Great choice, and I had such a fun time meeting you all. And I love your blog. And I love New York. And I love you!!

12:27 PM, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Jim, you totally nailed the description of the ice cream sandwich.

5:49 PM, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger jenny said...

Every time I've been to sNice, they have been out of ice cream!

I'm always afraid to try new items because I love the chicken pot pie wrap so much.

I usually get two, one to eat and one for lunch the next day!

I'll have to try something on the toasted bread next visit (and maybe get the pot pie wrap for lunch!)

Living Vegan

8:33 PM, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger jenny said...

I almost forgot - another favorite of mine is their Earl Grey flavored biscuits. Mmm!

Living Vegan

8:34 PM, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger veganfriendly said...

Yay! Thanks for all the love guys. Sweetlyvegan, you are too cute! It was so nice to meet you and your sis and all the other fabulous PPKers. One day I'll remember to post pics. One day. In the meantime, Jenny, that chicken pot pie wrap sounds deeee-licious. I've had the footlong veggie chili dog, which is indeed primally scrumptious. And I've had nibbles of the vegan panini. Holy crap was that good. Hooray for 'sNice! - Ev

9:28 PM, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger Janet said...

Thanks for writing this review - I convinced my omni husband to join me there for lunch this weekend.

We LOVED the chocolate milkshake! We split one down the middle with two straws...as our waiter put it, "just like a Norman Rockwell painting."

My only issue with the place is that they closed at 9:30 on Saturday night. I wanted to go back for a late night tea and dessert - post theater - but that wasn't possible! Ugh.

8:26 AM, June 27, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i went there after reading this review. i'd never even heard of it! i didn't have a milkshake but i was really really excited that they had malted ones. so i will go back.

the food i had was good (tofu scramble wrap) but i think i need to try that pot pie wrap. i found the set up a little confusing, but it felt more like a hippie restaurant than any in the city, and i have some affection for hippie restaurants.

1:18 AM, June 29, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so happy to have stumbled upon this place. The smoked tofu panini is perfection, just oily enough from the pesto. What flavor milkshake did you try? The malted is the only way to go...

10:48 PM, September 10, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home