Saturday, October 14, 2006

Ghenet

We recently went to Ghenet, an Ethiopian restaurant located at 284 Mulberry St & Houston St in Manhattan. While not strictly vegetarian, they have amazing selctions for vegans, whether ordered per dish or part of a combo meal.

Engouday Tibs
Oh boy, was this delicious! The Engouday Tibs (aka spiced mushrooms) at Ghenet satisfied so many hard to define cravings it was wonderful. The mushrooms were soft and savory as were the onions and peppers that were sauteed with them. Everything was spiced to perfection, both taste-wise and kick-wise. The flavors were very strong but worked well together, especially when wrapped in the Injera bread. It’s so hard to describe Injera bread to the uninitiated. Made from a nutritious grain called Teff, the taste is both wholesome and a little tangy. It resembles a half-cooked pancake- smooth on one side and bubbly on the other. The texture is soft, moist, and cool to the touch. The bread actually does double duty: Yes, it’s delicious and you eat it, but it also takes the place of utensils. You rip and scoop to eat your meal. This was our first food of the day and it couldn’t have been tastier. -Ev
There was something Fajita-esque about this appetizer, only it was better than the best fajita I’ve ever had. It was really delicious and probably my favorite thing at Ghenet. -Jim

Vegetarian Combo for 2
The best way to go at Ghenet is the combo meal. The combo meal for two was about 30 bucks and it consisted of a small amount of every vegetarian dish they offer at Ghenet (except the Shimbra Asa). That’s nine different foods packed into one dish, served on Injera bread with more Injera bread on the side. About half of the items in the combo were legume-based, with variations on seasonings, texture and spiciness (my favorite of these was the Shiro Wett, which was the most rich and spicy). There was also a cold potato, carrot and beet salad, spiced collard greens, a string bean and carrot dish and (my favorite) Atkelt Wett, which was cabbage, potatoes and carrots cooked in a mild caramelized onion sauce. I can honestly say that everything in the combo was delicious, and I loved the variety of dishes and how they worked with eachother. And it was SO MUCH food. Frankly, I think the Vegetarian Combo for Two might be a little too much for two people, as every time we’ve had it we’ve left the restaurant painfully stuffed with food. -Jim
I agree that the cabbage/potato dish was amazing. My other favorites were the green bean/carrot, and the yellow spilt pea. They were all so comforting and delicious. Oh, and there was a spicy lentil one that was really good too. You can also order the combo for 1 and have your choice of any 4 dishes. -Ev

The Bottom Line
I was 17 the first time I tried Ethiopian food & I was in Washington DC. I thought it was the best food I’d ever had. For years I clung to the memory of the unique flavors of the dishes and the amazing texture of Injera bread. I thought I would have to travel back to DC if I ever wanted to taste that goodness again. I am so happy that Ghenet is in NYC. The restaurant is beautiful and the food is so yummy you owe it to your tongue to try some. Ghenet (meaning “Paradise”) has a cute slogan that this is “Where Angels Eat”; well vegans should eat here too! -Ev
If you’ve never tried Ethiopian food, you’re really missing out. The spices are reminiscant of Indian curries but the food is very unique and the Injera bread is addictively good. Ghenet is definitely my favorite Ethiopian restaurant. Their food is just a little more fresh and flavorful than other Ethiopian places I’ve tried. -Jim

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soo glad you like Ghenet too! It's my favorite for Ethiopian- just love it!!

6:10 PM, October 16, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1- You made me crave Ehtiopian food something awful.

2- I just had a brilliant idea. You should post a pic of the restaurant itself. The outside, the inside, whatever. No, no, don't thank me, it was nothing.

11:32 PM, October 16, 2006

 
Blogger Harmonia said...

Ev...great place you have here!

Your blog is fabulous! I found you on the Vegan Cupcake blog! Can I add you to my bloglines and visit often? Please let me know! I'm located at:
http://harmonia.bloggoing.com incase you're blog surfing!

9:33 AM, October 18, 2006

 
Blogger Lisa said...

Have you tried Queen of Sheba on 10th ave. in midtown? The decor is so calming and beautiful and the food is the best Ethiopian I've tasted. Their injera is the perfect consistency for scooping up the food. Yum.

4:25 PM, September 05, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Some good look'n injera and wot. Mouth watering!

4:19 PM, November 14, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to love "meskerem" in hell's kitchen, but they've been skimping more and more on their portion sizes and the service is crap. then i met "ghenet". the food is sooooo good, and their veggie combo has more kinds of dishes than the one at "meskerem". and there was this garlicky stuff that was kinda like hummus that was SOOOOO good! added bonus: it's very close to the broadway-lafayette subway stop!

3:36 PM, February 08, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home