Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Vegan Treats Doughnuts at Atlas Café

Atlas Café at 73 2nd Avenue 2nd Ave in Manhattan is now carrying Vegan Treats doughnuts! So we went down there with our buddies Isa and Eppy and ate some. You can eat some too by going to Atlas on a Tuesday night. That's the day that they're delivered and, from what we understand, they're gone by Wednesday!

Boston Cream
Boston Cream was always my favorite doughnut! With sweet chocolate, tangy custard and fried dough, how can you go wrong? Well, I was nervous that the vegan version might not be the same, but my fears were unfounded. It was awesome and very authentic! They got everything just right, even the custard which seems like it would be tricky to do vegan. -Jim

Rainbow Sprinkled
Mmmmmm. Donuts. This was the simplest and my favorite of the bunch. Good enough to fool Homer Simpson. A classic, undeniably donutty flavor and texture, lightly glazed and topped with colorful sprinkles. I loved it! It even smelled like heaven. (This, of course, is based on my assumption that heaven smells like dessert.) -Ev

Coconut Cream
Ok so imagine this, you take the Boston Cream doughnuts I described above, but instead of chocolate, you put sugary sweet glaze and toasted coconut on top. The end result: an even better doughnut for a coconut lover like myself. Coconut is one of my favorite dessert flavors (as evidenced by the ChoCofCo, my brilliant contribution (ok, not so much a contribution as a suggestion) to Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World), so this doughnut was like heaven to me. The same awesome custard in the same awesome doughnut, but coconutty! Yes! -Jim

Oreo Cream
This donut was ridiculous, and that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your stomach (I know the folks at Supervegan rated this one as their favorite). As far as the donut itself, the texture was much thicker/denser than the standard donut. Also, inside was the familiar Vegan Treats frosting that tops many of their delicious cakes, only this time oreos were blended into it. It was almost like an inside out cake that was compressed into donut size and covered with cookie crumbs. Now don't get me wrong, donuts by their very nature are delicious, but this one was a bit too much for me. It was really dense and I personally don't love frosting in donuts. So that's my take-- delicious but not my favorite kind of delicious. If it sounds like your kind of delicious, tear this shizzle up! -Ev

The Bottom Line
True Story: Years ago, the second or third time I ever got Vegan Treats cake at Atlas, I said to the guy behind the counter, "You guys should sell vegan doughnuts. That would be awesome." And now my wish has come true! Doughnuts have always been one of my favorite desserts and now Vegan Treats has brought them to my city, vegan and delicious. Thanks so much, Vegan Treats! You rule! -Jim
Word. These were really good. I can't wait to try the other kinds. I would also like to add my thanks to Vegan Treats and their unflappable commitment to making me die happily of a sugar overdose. Well folks, now we have one vegan donut maker down and one to go. That's right, Mighty O! You heard me. Get your sugary holes over here! -Ev

10 Comments:

Blogger jenny said...

Vegan Treats has even more flavors (including chocoloate glazed) at their retail store...I think they are ridiculously amazing! You guys are lucky you can get them in NYC now!! I think doughnuts were the last of my "I wish they made a vegan version of ...." list!

6:17 PM, July 31, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw your post and since I was going to near Atlas last night I was excited to go try a donut. I've been to Vegan treat's bakery in PA twice but never had a donut.
I ordered a rainbow sprinkled donut and well I wouldn't say I was disappointed but I was not overly blown away by it. It was sort of bland and a bit dry.
Now if Atlas sold their Cinnamon Bun cakes and heated them like VT does in their store I might be even a bit fatter than I am.

9:21 AM, August 01, 2007

 
Blogger pinkberry said...

Yay! Isn't it amazing when vegan dreams come true!

Now if only they would make me a vegan version of nutella!!

Sighhhhhh

4:01 AM, August 02, 2007

 
Blogger Jamie said...

you guys should try wild ginger next, I think it's really good.

7:02 PM, August 02, 2007

 
Blogger bazu said...

I'm so glad I read this just a few days before being in NYC... vegan donuts here I come! mmmmmmmmllllllggggghhhh {homer simpson drool}

10:15 PM, August 02, 2007

 
Blogger pinkberry said...

Hey my vegan eats guru,

Do you guys know of any good vegan joints in Paris?

You can reach me at aredcardiganatgmailcom

Thanks!

1:27 AM, August 07, 2007

 
Blogger n/a said...

I'm afraid I'll like the doughnuts too much! These sound great! I will see about getting some in Bethlehem or at Atlas.

8:12 PM, August 11, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog one night and became obsessed with trying these donuts. So I went to Atlas on a Tuesday night to get me some. I brought home a coconut, a glazed and a Boston cream...well, I ordered a Boston cream but there was a totally retarded woman working at Atlas that night and she gave me, like, a reverse Boston cream that had chocolate dough instead of plain. It was OK, I wasn't that impressed. It might have been better if the dough had been plain. The glazed was kind of a waste of money. But the coconut was really good! And now they have cinnamon buns ... which were AMAZING. If you haven't already, you should check those out.

6:00 AM, November 10, 2007

 
Blogger Kindlivingnow said...

These treats look incredible! I just highlighted your blog on my blog -
http://kindliving.blogspot.com/

Your blog is great, hope to support one another.

4:42 PM, February 08, 2009

 
Blogger AnimalCare said...

These donuts look so incredible! I haven't had once since becoming a vegan - can't wait! I love your blog - the reviews are really great, thank you.

animalcare
http://kindliving.blogspot.com/

8:44 PM, March 02, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home