Sunday, July 16, 2006

Red Bamboo Brooklyn

We checked out Red Bamboo’s new Brooklyn location at 271 Adelphi Street at the corner of Dekalb Ave. As you might know if you’re familiar with their Manhattan location, Red Bamboo is vegetarian (mostly vegan) and specializes in Carribean and Soul food. We forgot to grab a take-out menu or write anything down, so we’re doing our best to remember the exact names of the dishes, and they might be a little off. We’re slacking!

Sweet Potato and Broccoli Tempura
This dish was light, crunchy and refreshing. If I’m not mistaken, the batter was the same one they use to coat their famous Creole Soul Chicken. The sauce was a sweet soy-based sauce. I think my favorite was the broccoli, but I’m not sure. Red Bamboo is pretty good at deep-frying things without over-doing it. I’ve never really gotten a deep-fried dish from them that was greasy or gross, and this was no exception. -Jim

Korean Scallion Pancake
I was expecting the usual flat scallion pancakes with a thin slab of fake mystery meat in the center; this was a pleasant surprise. It was one round pancake that was fluffy and chock full of veggies- almost like an Indian Uttapam. The pancake itself tasted very much like an omelet and the dipping sauce was nice and savory. Yummy! -Ev

Jerk Chicken
I really enjoyed this dish, so let me get the bashing out of the way first: the mashed potatoes were lame. They were very dry and I didn’t like that they came with the gravy pre-applied. If I could order it again, I’d get the gravy on the side. Ok, now the good parts. The chicken was good. It was pretty much their standard soy chicken, with a little bit of flavor and seasoning on it, and served with a great onion dipping sauce. But the best part was the soup. Note that the soup does not come standard with this dish! The third element of this dish is normally steamed vegetables, which I find boring. So I asked the waiter what I could substitute and he suggested the Calaloo soup (a traditional Caribbean soup that they don’t have at the Manhattan Red Bamboo). It sounded interesting so I went for it. I’m so glad I did. The soup was very simple and the flavors were mild, but it tasted very hearty, earthy and almost creamy. I could imagine not everyone enjoying this soup as much as I did, but I really enjoyed it. -Jim

BBQ Seitan Kebab
I was excited to try this dish because I love seitan. I was happy to see that the portion size of the steamed veggies was smaller than the Manhattan Red Bamboo. Also different was the lack of corn in the mashed potatoes. The potatoes were a little lumpy but good. The seitan itself was big and dense; it was very thick and had a lot of chew. Texture-wise, it wasn’t the best seitan I’ve had, but it had good flavor. The sauce was good too and wasn’t too thick or sugary. -Ev

The Bottom Line
I felt that the food I ate here was better than the food I usually get at the Manhattan location. It seemed a little more rich and homemade. The appetizers were light and delicious and the entrée was great. Did I mention I love their Calaloo soup? -Jim
I agree that this Red Bamboo was a little better than it’s Manhattan sister. I also felt that there were more entrees to choose from. My meal wasn’t mind-blowing but was really tasty and a good size. The sad part was that they ran out of desserts. But their lemonade was divine. This is a really pretty restaurant too with nice outside seating. I look forward to going back. -Ev

10 Comments:

Blogger jenny said...

I've only been to the Brooklyn location for lunch, but was impressed - the atmosphere is nice and much roomier than the Manhatten location. They have a Coco bread that they use for their breaded chicken sandwich (on the lunch menu) that is really good. Oddly enough, they don't share the same owner so maybe that's why there are some menu differences.

4:23 PM, July 16, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The waiter will be mean to you if you try to joke around about their lack of dessert.

I wasn't particularly fond of their mashed potatoes, but I can't say enough about those scallion pancakes!

11:33 AM, July 17, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mango chicken salad!

3:35 PM, July 17, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay! i'm going here! wanna come with me?

9:35 PM, July 17, 2006

 
Blogger veganfriendly said...

Yes!

-Evo & Jimbles

9:06 AM, July 18, 2006

 
Blogger jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Your blog is painful to read being across the country..still excellent regardless. I discovered I loved Red Bamboo's (VP2 as well) soy chicken, but then I realized it was the same thing in most of the dishes. My favorite thing of all, though plain, are the spinach dumplings.

5:40 PM, July 24, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really miss this place. last time i was there in a scary thunderstorm. no, i'm lying, i was there for breakfast. you guys should go back and get some breakfast. OK, gotta go not kill myself now.

love, jessika

11:57 PM, July 25, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the awesome review! I'm glad you like Red Bamboo's newest location. We're psyched to be in Brooklyn. To adress Jenny, my family has ownership in both restaurants although the partners are different. next time you're in, i recommend the potato croquette--definitely not dry!

if you're on myspace, check us out! myspace.com/redbamboobrooklyn

9:01 PM, August 02, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again, I got the same things as you accidentally. I split the Jerk Chicken and Bourbon Chicken with my friend. They were both good, but I too was not a huge fan of the mashed potatoes. I really liked their french fries that some people had with their sammiches. Also I got chocolate cake for dessert and it was pretty good, but it was awesome because we got it for free cause the piece looked a little smooshed. I really wish i had remembered that you subbed something for the steamed veggies cause i HATE steamed carrots.

11:57 AM, August 11, 2006

 
Blogger Eric said...

I was just there two nights in a row. My thoughts:

August 10
August 11

Would be cool if we could meet up for dinner out while I'm still in town (leaving bright and early on the 15th... actually, it's more likely that it will be dark out still when I leave). I love eating vegan in NYC.

1:45 AM, August 12, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home