Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Pizza Plus

We tried Pizza Plus at 359 7th Ave in Park Slope, Brooklyn. It’s an old school pizza parlor that recently started offering soy cheese and fake meat options.

Sun-dried Tomato and Pineapple Pizza
Yum! I sustained my first roof of the mouth cheese burn in 12 years eating this delicious concoction, but it was well worth it. pineapple and sun-dried tomatoes are both strong flavors, but they’re on opposite sides of the spectrum and their delicious battle is fought on your taste buds. I also tried a bite of my friend’s Sausage and Pineapple pizza- more timid of a combination, but still delicious. -Ev

Sausage, Pepper and Onion Pizza
The fake meat du jour at Pizza Plus was sausage, so we decided to go all out with a Sausage, Peppers and Onions Pizza. Everybody knows that sausage, peppers and onions go great together, and combining them atop a vegan pizza is no exception to that rule. The variety in texture was nice on this pie. And I think the sharpness of the toppings overpowered the flavor of the Follow Your Heart soy cheese a little bit, which is good, because I like the flavor of Follow Your Heart, but I don’t love it. -Jim

Broccoli Rabe and Caper Pizza
So this one was Isa’s famous combo. It’s weird because I liked it, but it was so strong I could only eat half a slice. The capers were good n’ salty and the broccoli rabe was a nice change from the other textures but it seemed the soy cheese flavor was amplified in this combo and was very heavy. It could be that this was my 3rd slice of pizza and the soyness was getting to me. Or it could be I wanted another slice of the Pineapple Pizza. Who knows? I will say this- it’s a few days later and this is the one I’m craving. Sneaky pizza. -Ev

The Bottom Line
We were dying to try Pizza Plus because we heard really good things about them. We heard that they perfected the art of a vegan cheese pizza, that they melted the cheese just right so that it wasn’t solid but it wasn’t just oily goo (any vegan who’s ever tried to make a pizza with vegan cheese knows what I’m talking about here). Well, I definitely enjoyed my pizza. The crust was good, the toppings were great and super-fresh, the place was pleasant and conveniently located and the staff was really nice. Did the cheese live up to the hype? Not really. It was a little gooey. But no big deal. It was still good and I would definitely eat here again. -Jim
I also enjoyed eating here. The staff was really nice. I think the large pies are the way to go as they are more pizza-y than the smaller ones. The smaller ones are delicious, but a liiiiittle bit thicker dough, where as the large pie had a thinner bottom and puffier crust. Also, I agree about the cheese. Our friends' table next to us got the melted perfection we had heard about. Our table got cheese that was soupier/stringier, although once it cooled off more it congealed into a better texture. All in all, it was great to stuff my face with pizza and I look forward to going back! -Ev

8 Comments:

Blogger pinkberry said...

I'm glad you guys have good experiences with soy cheese. I don't know if it's soy cheese or cheese in general....it's just something I can live without...like bad boys. Kidding:)

Anyway I'm comtemplating if the pizza joint is worth the $$$ cause I am already NOT stuffing my face with vegan eats in Manhattan

So many choices...sigh.

12:11 AM, October 18, 2007

 
Blogger veganfriendly said...

Hi, pinkberry! The prices were very reasonable here. We went crazy and split 3 small pies between 4 people and had 2 slices left over and were really stuffed. You should go with folks to split & save! I think next time we'll get a large pie with some kind of half & half combo. Also, I can't wait to try the pepperoni! :) -Ev

9:26 AM, October 18, 2007

 
Blogger LizNoVeggieGirl said...

nice!! I'll be in NYC in a few months, and am trying to compile a list of vegan restaurants to go to - thanks your wonderful blog, I've got quite a few on my list already; including this pizza place! :0)

2:14 PM, October 18, 2007

 
Blogger pinkberry said...

Hey Ev....yea I probably need more soy lovin friends...guess I'll have to drag my sister.

Let me know how the pepperoni made your heart tingle:)

And veggie girl...you're in good hands with Jim and Ev, they really KNOW good vegan eats.Your tummy will thank ya!

12:15 PM, October 19, 2007

 
Blogger pinkberry said...

hey jim and ev....yea would do this over e-mail but can't find yours on your site...thought you guys might be interested.Let me know if you want to know what's on the menu.

"From Sunday, October 21 to Saturday, October 27th, RBBK is offering a
three course dinner menu of our most popular dishes for the bargain price of $19.95.
That's the best offer among participating restaurants to date!
Reservations are encouraged, but not necessary. Please call 718.643.4352."

Offer only in Red Bamboo (brooklyn).


Have a great weekend you two!:)

1:09 PM, October 20, 2007

 
Blogger jessibot said...

hey! i'm a huge pizza plus fan, and i haven't been back since they closed for the fire. but i can't wait to go back, the staff is really cool, and i love the pizza. my boyfriend and i usually just get a large plain soy-cheese, very brooklyn style. any toppings just take away from the nyc pizza experience. ;)

7:41 PM, October 23, 2007

 
Blogger Paluka said...

So I just ordered some Pizza Plus. They seem to currently not have any fake meat toppings, but they claim that in a week they will start have them again. They told me the same thing about a week ago so not sure what is going on.

5:27 PM, October 28, 2007

 
Blogger Diana said...

I just came across your blog now in my search for vegan eats in NYC, and I had to leave a note on this post because I used to live in Park Slope (now in Brooklyn Heights) and Pizza Plus is the BEST!!! Have NOT found comparable pizza yet in my neighborhood (except Grimaldi's, of course, but you can't just drop in there).

Thanks for your posts! It's a great resource.

9:11 PM, January 30, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home