Sunday, November 04, 2007

Knish Nosh

Knish Nosh is a famous Queens Knishery located at 100-30 Queens Blvd in Forest Hills. All the Knishes contain no dairy or eggs, so any non-meat Knish is vegan.

Kasha Knish
This was the only knish of the 3 we tried that I had dipped in mustard, although I did like its full nutty flavor. This was definitely the subtlest of the 3. It was hard to compete with the other varieties we tried, but I thought it was a nice palate cleanser, and could definitely see having one of these on a day I’d want to eat something “healthy”. I couldn’t really tell if there was any potato mixed in, or if it was just the kasha alone. The dough was also tougher than the other kinds. I would say, unless you have a pre-existing love of kasha or really want to go the plain route, you should order a different kind. -Ev

Cabbage Knish
The Cabbage Knish was the most unique of the three. First of all, the outside of this knish was more flakey and delicate than that of the other knishes. The inside, on the other hand, was the most moist and creamy of all of them. The potato was mixed with cabbage and red peppers, and the red peppers actually contributed a lot of flavor to this knish. In fact, if I had to name it, I would name it a Cabbage and Pepper Knish. Regardless, this was my favorite and I think Evelyn’s favorite, too. It was definitely the most exciting and flavorful of the bunch. The sexiest, one might say. Especially Ev since I think she has a knish fetish. -Jim

Spinach Knish
Oh YUM! This tasted like my grandma’s spinach pie (minus the sausage). The spinach was blended with potato to a salty creamy consistency. It was really rich and flavorful. The crust was tender and delicious. I’d say this was equal in awesomeness to the cabbage knish. I’m even drooling a little as I write this. Definitely try this one, it’s a winner! -Ev

The Bottom Line
It’s fun reviewing a New York City Landmark. Knish Nosh has been in business since 1952! And they definitely make the best Knishes I’ve ever had. But we did make one mistake and that was ordering three. One knish is more than enough food for one hungry person. We were super-stuffed when we were done eating. -Jim
I love Knish Nosh! I wouldn't say I have a knish fetish per se, but definitely I've been known to get knish cravings that drive me into a frenzy. I think knishes are the perfect comfort food because they're big, warm and mushy like a good hug. Also cute fact: my Mom used to go here when she was younger. I think Cabbage and Spinach are tied for first place so far, mayyyyybe Cabbage has the edge. I can't wait to go back and try the other varieties. Also, we'll have to try Yonah Schimmel for Battle of the Knishes! -Ev

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good timing. We spoke about Knish Knosh at Mooshoes a few weeks back and I went there for breakfast this morning. Had a mushroom knish and a Dr. Brown's Black Cherry soda.
A true breakfast of champions :D
I completely agree on the kasha knish being a bit boring. I switch around what I order but my favorite is the sweet potato. Though I never tried the cabbage, so I guess I might go there for lunch one day this week.

8:28 PM, November 04, 2007

 
Blogger pinkberry said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:05 PM, November 05, 2007

 
Blogger pinkberry said...

Reading this with frozen fingers, that spinach knish is what I need now!

Thank god it's almost dinner time.

Always a bad idea to read Jim & Eve's Excellent Food Adventures (JEEFA) before mealtime.

7:06 PM, November 05, 2007

 
Blogger ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Wow you are soooo lucky to live in New York City! The array of vegan-friendly restaurants there is astounding!

5:22 PM, November 11, 2007

 
Blogger bazu said...

Uh, I'll take a cabbage knish, please

1:14 PM, November 16, 2007

 
Blogger Jisun said...

Evelyn, I tried to find your email address and couldn't find it. My name is Christine and I'm an intern publicist for Counter. I just thought you guys would be interested to know about a vegan-friendly (read: mostly vegan) healthy hedonist dinner at Counter. It's tomorrow, and everyone gets a free autographed cookbook with their meal. The author will be present as a guest chef. The menu is available at xanga.com/jisun.(It should be on gailpr.com but our website guy is sick...) Anyway, I hope you guys drop by because this site looks cool!

2:23 PM, November 27, 2007

 
Blogger pinkberry said...

How does Zabar's knishes compare to Knish Knosh?

Are you guys on myspace by the way?

Oh Jim, I remembered reading somewhere that you like brown rice right? Have you tried TJ's Brown Rice Medley?

That thing makes me eat more carbs than I should.

Stay warm kids.

10:52 PM, November 29, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finally got my butt down to Knish after years of living just a few blocks of.

Holy crap, I love them. I didn't get to try the kasha, but I love cabbage and by far it's the zestiest knish I've ever tasted.

FYI, they also have darling "cocktail" sized mini-knishes that you can buy by the tray.

4:16 PM, December 05, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEST KNISH...THE REGULAR WHITE POTATO,,,LOTS OF MUSTARD....ONE WILL FILL YOU FOR THE REST OF THE DAY...

11:03 AM, December 16, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malakopita is actually "Milagai Podi" . Milagai means chilli and podi means powder

5:21 PM, January 16, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

7:21 PM, November 14, 2009

 
Blogger L.T. said...

I live around the corner from this place, and I can't get enough of it. I always have the mushroom, potato, or spinach, and had never thought to try the cabbage - next time!

If this place is popular with vegans, maybe we can get them to serve a veggie dog> :) The chef has told me she always tries to make the soups with vegetarian stock.

5:28 PM, December 31, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home